Student Services - Parent Mentor
"Like the metamorphosis of a butterfly...change
begins with a new way of learning."
The mission of the Ohio Parent Mentors is to provide the necessary support and resources to families of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them.
The Parent Mentor Program is based on the assumption that students with disabilities will be ensured an appropriate and meaningful education if parents and educators can communicate effectively and opeationalize the partnership planning required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
Districts choose to implement the Parent Mentor Program to promote this necessary and effective communication by providing information and support to families about special education issues and by providing a mechanism to convey the family perspective back to the system.
Goals of the Parent Mentor
The Findlay Parent Mentor is committed to promoting a quality learning experience for Special Needs students in the Findlay City Schools. The goals are to:
- Educate families and school staff about the special education process.
- Inform parents of their legal rights and answer questions about special education.
- Access services in the school and community.
- Support parents and school personnel through the specialeducation process.
No Cost for Services
Ohio Parent Mentor projects are funded through grants from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). All Parent Mentor services are provided to families free of charge.
A Few Reasons to Contact The Parent Mentor
- You are worried about your child's progress in school
- Feel alone and need to talk to an understanding parent about your concerns
- Have questions about your child's education but forgot to askat the school meeting
- Would like to be more involved in the planning of your child's education
- Feel like no one is listening to your concerns about your child
Findlay Parent Mentor Contact Information
Karen Herold - Parent Mentor